Background History of Mawnan Smith
The village of Mawnan Smith has three churches. The church of St Mawnan and St Stephen is also known as Mawnan Church, the others are the church of St Michael’s built in 1876 and a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in the centre of the village. It is thought that the name derives from the four working smithies which once served the local farms. The premises of the last remaining smithy were restored by The Mawnan Anvil Trust to remain a working forge and to promote other crafts, these include printmaking, ceramics and wood turning.